Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Overload.

I've probably mentioned before in passing that my mother is sick but I haven't mentioned any specifics of that "sickness" before, so here's the complete breakdown of it: my mother has multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, is still recovering from a stroke and is a past cancer patient. She can't talk and is semi-paralysed. She's not bed-ridden, she can walk some distances with the help of a cane, but her right foot is still heavy and drags behind, her right arm doesn't function at all. She has been sick for as long as I can remember but she has been this way since November 2006. And I can't fucking sleep.

I've never been much of a sleeper before then anyway, but when I didn't sleep, it was because I didn't require it. Not because I was afraid that my entire world would come crumbling down around me the instant I shut my eyes. And that's exactly what I am, I'm afraid. All the fucking time. I'm afraid my mother has a seizure and swallows her tongue and nobody's around her to help. I'm afraid she falls off the bed and hits her head and gets some sort of concussion. I'm afraid she aggravates one of the 10,000 injuries she has from the injections she has to take every other day. I'm afraid she forgets to take her medication and her condition gets worse. The list goes on and on. The fear is paralysing, it creeps into my bloodstream, its icy talons find their way to my heart and grip it tightly, making it damn near impossible for me to even draw breath, but I do it anyway. And it very much feels like forcing razors down my throat and trying to wash it down with corrosive acid.

I've cut ties with the people from school, the ones I grew up and graduated with. Because the girl they once knew has ceased to exist and has been replaced by a hollowed version of her and they have no idea why. Nobody knows, because I don't mention it and I've never uttered it to any of them. Because I know the instant I do, I have to endure their pitying glances and sympathetic smiles and that's just something I can't do, I refuse to.

So, I'll keep painting on my smiles with lipstick, covering up the bags under my eyes with concealer and when you BBM me at 4am in the morning asking if I'm up, I'll reply with my standard "I'm always up :P" laugh, joke and try to escape the horrible reality of my mother's constantly deteriorating condition while hoping/praying with every fiber of my being she gets better and becomes the mother i once knew.

-lilo
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Zain Kuwait

7 comments:

  1. Allah yishfeeha, InshAllah.

    I think I'd do the same - keep it balled in, and hold that ball in with multiple rubber bands, glue and duck tape over the years.

    I also think your fear is justified - one of few that are. May you always be there for your mother.

    I'm sorry I can't really empathize, but I do hope the burden gets lighter. I'm being most sincere.

    Your mother is lucky to have you, and again inshAllah she does get better, and become the mother you once knew.

    As for the 'pitying glances' I think they're misplaced. It's more admiration that pity - or so I say: to see people deal with their burdens, to see them complain so little - it's admiration worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew about this till now and I never knew that part of you, the part that's worthy of admiration like Carpe Diem said. It's totally you to keep this from surfacing but some things though are too much to burden yourself. I think you shouldn't be afraid of talking to a best friend about this.
    My thoughts and prayers go to your mom and her well being. Alla yashfeeha inshala ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dislike talking about this subject because it makes it seem like I'm complaining about having to deal with it and I'm not the selfish daughter that wishes for her mother's well-being for her own sake. I don't mind taking care of her, she's my mum after all and it's the least I can do. I just needed to vent a little and I really appreciate both your comments and wishes/prayers more than you can ever know. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm the same, I keep it bottled in, but I eventually burst. I hope your mother feels better and it's not selfish. You're being sort of selfless... If that makes sense. You want her to get better so she can just get better.
    If there's anything I know for certain, it helps to vent. Keep posting, even if no one reads it, as long as your thoughts are out there.

    Allah yshfeeha inshallah & I hope she gets well soon ;*

    ReplyDelete
  5. my darling :( i love you :(

    I couldn't comment gabel when i read this post...

    no amazing words tht will make u feel better instantly..

    All i can say is you know im here, and of all people you know i get it the most...

    w i heart you, w night or day, t5ayeleeni your pink knight (killish mo tawni shayfa the dark knight)

    i heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. ur verification code thing is super annoying. I hope it has a car accident & breaks its leg.

    P.p.s. i can never comment once, can i?

    ReplyDelete
  7. royalh; thank you very much for your comment and I do understand what you're saying but it's sort of hard to reconcile that with how I feel, you know? and ameen, thanks xx

    Lost; LOL no, you can't ever comment just once but it's all part of your charm or erm whatever :P
    I know, dearest <3 thanks xx
    p.s didn't know it was still on, sorries!

    ReplyDelete